Maya Cockburn

I am a movement artist and practitioner who lives, loves & breathes dance & movement!

My original training in Fine Art inspired a love of colour, form and texture that continues to inform my movement practice to this day.

For twenty-five years I directed creative projects with learning disabled children and adults and collaborated with other artists in performance work. Working with diverse populations ignited my passion for deeper understanding of the relationship between movement, unconscious dynamics and personal expression. My personal and professional journey led me to the Naropa Institute in USA where I studied Somatic Psychotherapy and Dance Movement Therapy, and Authentic Movement at the Authentic Movement Institute in California. On returning to England I graduated as a Registered Dance Movement Psychotherapist in 2002 and worked in acute psychiatry within the NHS as a Dance Movement Therapist and facilitated workshops in Authentic Movement and Natural Dance.

I currently work with JABADAO as a Movement Practitioner and Trainer, teaching Early Years Practitioners the importance of spontaneous movement play for children for their learning, health and wellbeing.

More recently I have studied a form of non-stylised movement practice – ‘Move into Life’ with Dr. Sandra Reeve. I weave these dynamics and principles into my work to encourage people to fully embody their movement and self-expression in the studio and outdoors.

In my work I offer warmth, humour, a sense of the dramatic, my love of imagery and symbolism and a passion for nature.

For the last two years I have co-facilitated Fairy Tales in the Woods/Forest with Joy Kearney.

Contact Maya by e-mail or on +44 (0)7981 490481

Maya Cockburn: BA Fine Art; Certification in Authentic Movement; RDMT